Paleo Slow Cooker Pepper Steak
Please note: This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of those links and make a purchase, you not only get a product that I recommend, but I get to do fun things like keep the lights on. 😉 Everybody wins!
Have I mentioned that I love my slow cooker before? Oh I have? Like here or here or here or here or here or here, maybe?? So, I don’t need to repeat my undying love for this particular kitchen appliance again, do I? No. Okay, cool. I’ll spare you the details then. 😉
This recipe came about because I had a doctors appointment and a pinterest account. I knew that I would be out and about all day, and needed to have a plan that involved dinner cooking itself. I had steak that I needed to use, so I searched pinterest for some ideas. When I came across this recipe for Pepper Steak from Gimme Some Oven, I knew that I could adapt it for the crock pot and to make it paleo friendly. So that’s exactly what I did for this Paleo Slow Cooker Pepper Steak.
I also used my mandolin slicer to get my mini peppers sliced thinly, and to save time. They went from this
to this in no time flat. Those slicers are sharp though, so if you are a rebel like me and don’t use the hand guard, just watch your fingers. I haven’t done it (yet) but I’m betting that cutting your fingers on that thing would hurt!
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. arrowroot powder/starch
- 1/8 tsp. coarsely-ground black pepper (or more/less to taste)
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. thinly sliced flank steak or sirloin, cut diagonally across the grain into thin strips
- 12 mini sweet peppers, thinly sliced (or 2 regular-sized bell peppers, thinly sliced)
- Add all of the ingredients, except steak and peppers to a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Place steak strips in the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour the sauce over the top.
- Cook on low 6-8 hrs, adding the peppers into the slow cooker during the last hour
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the steak and peppers from the slow cooker
- Transfer the sauce to a sauce pan and heat until it has thickened. (You may need to add a little more arrowroot powder to help it thicken up).
- Add the sauce, peppers and onions, back to the slow cooker, and mix to combine.
I served this with some cauliflower rice, but feel free to serve it up however you’d like.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you might also enjoy these family friendly paleo slow cooker recipes.